Monday, February 22, 2010

Would You Like Some Socks With That?

I am now an official employee of Dick's Sporting Goods! Doesn't that sound glamorous? :) I'll be selling/picking up/stocking/folding and what-have-you in the apparel department. I must say I was beginning to get pretty frustrated and sad by the fact that not one company/person had called to follow up with any of the 20+ applications I had distributed between three cities. Y'all, that's bad. So, last Thursday I received a random phone call from a local number and was tickled to death to find out she wanted to interview me that day and at the end of the interview I was told to come in at 10 a.m. Monday morning (today).

Since the required dress of Dick's is a hunter green polo that they provide and some khakis (that I must provide), I decided that my current single pair of "dress khakis" are a little snug for all day wear. I proceeded to go find some on the clearance rack at American Eagle... $10!! $10!! It was a good day :) Anyway, figuring I might actually get to do some work today, I washed and dried them so that they would shrink enough in length to fit properly and proudly put them on this morning.

I was subjected to "computer training" for around two hours. Simulation upon questionnaire upon audio-less video was projected at me while managers and various other people came and went and did things that managers and various other people do. I sat. I clicked. I typed. I can't say that I will remember everything that I was "trained" to do, but goodness, there is A LOT to know. A LOT I tell you. I was also told to come in from 4 p.m. to close tomorrow night and I would get some "floor training." Sounds good to me. Here's to hoping I don't confuse the 1 year replacement plan with the 4 year service plan and definitely not the ScoreCard Rewards card. That would be a travesty :)

But... I'm excited! I have something to do, means of income, and maybe I'll meet some nice folks. So, if you're needing any Nike dri-fit, some Under Armour, or maybe a new kayak... come see me. I'll even sell you some socks.

Socks? Yes. There's apparently a program/incentive thing known as SWEET. Socks With Each and Every Transaction. I MUST sell socks. I MUST. Just so you know. I mean, who doesn't need socks?

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

SWEET! Congrats on the job. If I lived closer, I would buy socks from you. :)